Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Musings from the Mile High City



Partially gone but not forgotten. Too bad I can't grow shit, because my bass drum would make a killer planter once I return. We already know it retains water well.

A replacement bass drum runs right around the price of a plane ticket to see Cornell in Seattle. The question is, can you have your Chris and beat it, too?

That did not come out right.

It is still blistering hot in Denver. I am reminded of Phoenix, as I plan to bring a towel to drape over my steering wheel tomorrow so I can drive to lunch with more than one finger at a time. I hear there are mountains in the vicinity, but one cannot see them through the city's haze. Rumor has it that if I drive 90 minutes towards that thick grey cloud, I will eventually run into some 14,000 feet mountains. I'll believe it when I see it--literally.

As for wildlife sightings, we have one white-tailed jackrabbit that tested the brakes of my rental on Day One, and a mountain cottontail that sat outside the office windows during a mind-numbing presentation this morning from Schering, which they tried to enliven by bringing in chocolate milk and frosted shortbread cookies. I don't remember what they talked about, but the milk and cookies were somewhat tasty.

All of this I try to focus on as I see from my Wisconsin weather channel that my county is once again under a flash flood warning, as well as a severe thunderstorm warning, which means little SodaPop will be cowering under the bed tonight. I guess as long as she doesn't choose to cower in the basement, we're fine.


I also have reliable reports that my bat has returned. Mom heard someone (?) bouncing off the attic walls as she sat in my office, which has a tightly-fastened door leading to my newly-recognized bat refuge. It's understandable: his regular haunt probably flooded.

No comments: