Wednesday, August 29, 2007

FEMA Forgets Pastries; City Shells Roads Again


FEMA showed up at my door this morning to assess damage in the county. I think they were more worried about incurring personal damage from Ginger. I made my report and they went on their way. I was not a little disappointed that they brought no cupcakes to cheer up the flood-weary residents of this town.

Now there is a huge excavator in the street in front of my house using an enormous jackhammer to tear up the street that was waiting to be paved when this all happened. He's gone through several feet of old asphalt. I assume they are headed for the sewer pipes. The sound is quite jarring at the front of the house so I am glad my office is at the rear. Ginger's nap, however, was interrupted, and she is not a happy pit bull. her barking has thus far not caused the workers to retreat. I might try letting her loose out front. That might work, at least temporarily.
She would not have been near as upset had they brought cupcakes. This government seems to have no clue as to what we really need to alleviate our suffering.

I can joke now because my losses have been cut from $8000 to around $2500. The washer, dryer and water heater are all working again--though for how long, I can't be sure. The furnace can be repaired for about $400. The exercise bike appears to be a loss so I am going to get very fat. I am going to keep the bass drum and play out of tune. How much worse can I sound than I already did, really?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were so lucky, It could have been so much worse... There is a God!

Anonymous said...

I suppose the flavor of the day would be Chocolat?????