Thursday, February 19, 2009

The gift that keeps on giving



Robert Altman directed Gosford Park in 2001. I missed many things while submerged in my marriage, and this is one of them. Uncovering it recently was truly a delight. It was like opening the cupboard and finding a multi-layer cake, freshly and exquisitely-made just for me. Set in 1932, it combines the folly of the rich with the reality of the servants, with a little sex and murder thrown in for fun.

And the frosting? Why, Clive Owen, of course.


The piece is written with amazing precision, which is hard to notice due to Clive's distractingly sexy shoe-polishing and trouser-ironing. Clive Owen and period films--there oughta be a law requiring sedatives before viewing. I swooned so many times I ran clean out of epsom salts.

Valet Mr. Parks and Lady's Maid, Mary. She sees right through those flashing green eyes.

Won an Oscar for Best Writing in 2002.

No comments: