Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Novel Recovery


Brian, Myles & Mark of Alter Bridge, 12/07/07

I think I have found the way to regain my sense of humor and adventure after sitting for far too many hours in front of a computer writing emotionally draining stories.

Go out and meet more rock musicians.

Last night my sister and I went to our third Alter Bridge and Another Animal concert in three weeks, and it topped them all. Robbie Merrill (Godsmack/Another Animal bassist) was fantastic, chatting with us before the show, giving nods and smiles to us in the front row throughout the set, and then after the show (when I accused him of stalking us since he kept running into us) walking us backstage to meet Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti. It was above and beyond his call of duty, and we were MOST grateful. My sister and I have been trying to meet Myles for years.


Roadie "Meatball" plays air guitar with our main man, Robbie

They say Dave Grohl is the nicest man in rock--and I'm not one to argue with that--but all these guys are amazingly friendly and genuine. Myles was absolutely captivating to talk to--hard not to freeze up while staring at those incredible blue eyes and that unbelievable smile--and not once made us feel like we were keeping him from anything more important. He was shaking hands and movin' in nice and close for pictures--fucking incredible. Just a super nice guy that is indescribably easy on the eyes. Not to mention a smokin' set of pipes. What a voice! His set was amazing, and he sang, played guitar and danced like a man intent on seducing the entire audience. He succeeded.

Before Robbie took us backstage we caught Whit Crane (Lead Singer of Another Animal, formerly of Ugly Kid Joe) outside and he stopped for a picture and a sig. When I told him I loved his voice he got all shy and said, "You're nice." (Well, it's no invitation to the bus, but it's better than nothing.)

Whit and me (It's cold!!!)

He has limitless energy on stage and is a blast to watch. The show got even more electric when a large bat started flying around the stage. Between songs he named it Ozzie. Watching Whit duck repeatedly and Shannon wave his sticks at the bat as it dive-bombed them was extremely amusing.


Lee, Robbie, Whit and Shannon

And kudos to my sister. Sarah may be smaller than me, but she has a great set of lungs because she got Whit's attention on-stage and asked him for a drumstick for me, which he promptly delivered from Shannon. (Did I mention he's the kickass drummer for Godsmack?!) I'm telling you, NOTHING beats getting there early and being front row center.

Nothing, that is, except meeting them face to face after the show. I think Sarah will back me up on this.


Sarah's smile threatens to engulf the Universe as Myles reaches out to give her a hug for the camera.


Sarah then slips into shock as Myles begins to doubt my photographic abilities.

After some polite talk, I asked for a little piece of Myles for myself. (And no, I'm not telling you which piece I asked for.)

From the pictures, you can see that I STILL can't stop talking while having my picture taken with a gorgeous and talented musician. Must learn to relax and just smile!


Myles smiles as I stammer and drool

For more pictures from the show, click "Read More." And I promise I won't flip you off this time.

See? Only nice pictures!
Me, Sarah and Shannon's drum stick


Robbie and Whit



Whit watches his roadies sing the chorus to Jimi Hendrix's "Fire"


Myles melts hearts


Myles smiles

Is it hot in here or is it just Myles?



Sarah with Mark from Alter Bridge


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I LOVE how you and your sis just went for it!! Thanks for sharing and tempting me to look at another band........(oy, if Chris ever finds out, I'm dead meat!!!)

yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight!!

;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the photos!