Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ginger hates peas



To be specific, it's frozen, bagged peas she can't abide. Especially when they are applied--with only the best of intentions--to her dreadfully swollen post-operative knees. Nor did she appreciate the irony of Rickie Lee Jones singing "I wanna go back to Coolsville" during the icing process. Let's just say she is not in a joking mood.

Dr. Silbernagel did an amazing piece of work on Ginger yesterday. I know that sounds sarcastic, but this time it isn't. I picked her up this afternoon and must admit my stomach flipped when I saw the post-op radiographs, despite knowing exactly what they'd look like. Externally, she is swollen and bruised (side effect of having such light skin) with a bit of razor burn, and internally she looks like Barbaro's cousin after his initial surgery. Barbaro has more than 20 pins, however, and I think I counted 5 or 6 in each of Ginger's legs. I actually have the link to the x-rays and I will try and put those up tomorrow for any who are interested in this relatively new procedure.

I also took some photos as soon as we got home, and I'll be taking more to document her progress. I am too tired to upload them tonight, so deal with it.

She is taking to the kennel again like a fish to peanut butter. At present, however, she is in no position to overpower anyone, even me. Plus, she figures out pretty quickly that freedom hurts far more than being in a cushy kennel. Taking her out to the bathroom a few minutes ago I felt like throwing up because I kept imagining her pain. (Anthropomorphism? Guilty.) Although any dog that can manage to balance herself almost exclusively on her two front legs has got to be in a fair amount of pain. Do not fear--I did have her back end in a sling--but she still usually puts some weight in it. I was very encouraged after a minute or two when she relaxed just a little and started wagging her tail, just happy to be outside and away from a scary hospital, I imagine. (They said she was pure sweetness her whole time she was there, but was very frightened and shivered a lot. Ginger hasn't trembled in years, so I take that pretty seriously.)

So I'm going down to sleep on the sofa or floor or somewhere by the kennel for when she wakes up and wants water or love or morphine. I have promised her it will only be this bad for a couple more days and I hope to God I am telling the truth.I'm busy. Come back tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kim Bates said...

ooohhhhhh...I hope she feels better soon! poor baby!!!! good luck to you too!