Saturday, November 15, 2008

Out on the Town


Common knowledge states that when you are feeling depressed, you should do something special to boost your spirits. After a very difficult 24 hours of obsessing over the health (or lack of it) of Ginger Ale, today was dedicated to doing just that.

I started by staying in bed a few extra hours this morning. This was something of a test of endurance as Ginger, the non-ambulatory pit bull with the best-looking hips since Megan Fox--at least, according to my veterinarian--experienced such levels of nuclear flatulence it is a miracle that the bedroom did not spontaneously combust.



We (Ginger, Soda, the Damn Cat and I) all staggered downstairs around ten to eat and start some laundry, under the pretense of doing something useful. This was so utterly exhausting that we all promptly fell asleep on the sofa, causing us to miss the protest against California's Proposition 8. I'd like to say we were there in spirit, but honestly, we were dead to the world. With the mood I have been in for the last few days, had I shown up the crowds would have begun protesting for me to go back home in no time. Really, it was better for everyone that I stayed behind.

Upon waking, laundry was changed and plans for an exciting evening were hatched. I decided to do something I only do once or twice a year. This was, after all, supposed to be a very special night. I fed and walked the dogs again (where did the day go?), grabbed my quarters and headed out.

First stop: Dinner. I went all out, ordering the #3 (plain, please) with a Sprite. Ahh, the smell of hot, salty McDonald's grease filling the Beetle... The gal on the other side of the glass tried to hand back a dollar, explaining I overpaid, but I told her, "Keep it! It's a special occasion!"

Dinner stowed safely in the passenger seat, I criss-crossed the metropolis of Columbus and drove straight into the open parking spot fronting my evening destination: the laundromat. Imagine my delight not only in finding a premier parking spot, but in discovering a waiting and empty Triple Load Washer! Some feelings are hard to put into words.

So there I sat, on an empty washing machine, downing french fries and watching my dry-clean-only quilt spin itself into sudsy oblivion. I will admit, there was a small part of me that was jealous.

I gazed up at the carefully worded sign dangling above the row of machines where I sat:

THOU SHALT NOT DYE IN THESE MACHINES

Well that, at least, provided some comfort.


1 comment:

Kim Bates said...

Great entry! It's life's little things that really do make it all worthwhile or at least tolerable! I love the way you write!
That song is good- just read the words and reminds me of the phrase- "this,too, shall pass" it's that damn time passing that is the problem!
Just hibernate- it's OK :o)