Thursday, October 21, 2010

Alter Bridge Breaks New Ground--with a sledgehammer



Finally ready to start listening to tracks from ABIII, and though I had heard it was darker, I was not prepared for the depth of the lyrics and evolution of their melodies. These songs hit hard, like a hot spear through the heart, yet you are (I am) unable to stop listening.

If there is not a Grammy nod on this album, it will be a crime. This is a stunning piece of work, and I'm only 1/4 of the way through it so far.

ABIII drops in the States November 6, and their US tour starts Dec 13 in St. Louis, MO. They are now supporting the album in Europe, where it dropped a few weeks ago. Reviews of album and shows across the pond are unanimous and utterly positive.

'Make It Right' by Alter Bridge

© Alter Bridge, Roadrunner Records and EMI

How many times have you cut only to feel the pain
How many days have you run only to crawl
How many nights did you scream, only to scream in vain
How many years till you face the shame of it all

Into the fire you fall
If only you can make it right
Stand up and fight for resolve
If only you can make it right

How many lies did you steal just to convince the fool
How many masks did you wear disguise and remove
How many years till you break all that keeps breaking you
How many tears will you waste while finding the truth

Into the fire you fall
If only you can make it right
Stand up and fight for resolve
If only you can make it right (x2)

There comes a time
When one must decide
The life they are living is far from true

Lost and deceived
Nothing to believe
I know I have so much yet to prove
Prove
I've yet to prove
Prove

Into the fire you fall
If only you can make it right
Stand up and fight for resolve
If only you can make it right (x2)


And I remain, as ever, completely unbiased. SHout out to Myles! Sorry. Totally unbiased.

2 comments:

Jeremy Anderson said...

I feel deeply that this music is derivative schlock, and I hate it immensely. My new drummer is making me play some of this worn out crybaby rock and roll. You probably won't post my comment, so I will consider this a direct personal message. The message is; eff you for liking this garbage. Are they moderately talented? Yes. Are they products of the commodification of music? Absolutely. This band epitomizes everything that is wrong with rock and roll today. Also to classify this as metal makes you a pansy-ass weakling.
Go listen to some jazz and repent your sins.

Nancy Dietrich said...

Everyone's taste in music is subjective. I can't remember ever telling someone who likes Lady Gaga or Insane Clown Posse to "eff off" because 1) I can't control what other people like to listen to, and 2) it would be extremely immature.

By the way, I love jazz--don't know why you assumed otherwise. And I don't consider AB true metal either--I don't like much hard metal (unless Pantera counts)--but the definition has changed a bit over the years, so if I tagged it as such, that's probably why.

If you're so mad at your band for making you play pansy-ass music, I suggest you either tell them, or find a new band. Attacking a random blogger will not change that for you.

So who is really being the pussy, here?