Saturday, February 27, 2010

Woke from a Dream Singing Indigo Girls

With this chorus in my head:

I wish I was a nomad
An indian or a saint
The edge of death would disappear
Leave me nothing left to taint
I wish I was a nomad
An indian or a saint
Give me walking shoes
Feathered arms
And a key to heaven's gate

To shake it up--here they are on Letterman--Letterman badly in need of a haircut--in 1991:



Turns out their TV debut was Letterman (with a better haircut) in 1989, playing Kurt Wouter's and my favorite song. After the song they mention touring with R.E.M. and The Violent Femmes. (And not in reunion tours.) Anyone feel old? You will after you watch this.



They look nervous, but Amy cuts it up late in the song... Sure I had those jeans at the time, too.

I listened to the Indigo Girls non-stop in the early 90's during my pre-grunge period, and saw them at least once at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival with friend MZ. Friend Kurt and I danced in empty gymnasiums in '89 and '90to their tunes when we were supposed to be composing flag and sabre work (sorry, Aylmer). Don't know how, or why, they snuck back into my mind this afternoon.

No comments: