Saturday, December 19, 2009

Close To You


Digging out from the Dec 9-10 snowstorm

For my friends not on Facebook, here are some very recent shots of Ginger and Dickens finding innovative ways to stay warm this winter. The innovation was mostly on the part of Ginger--it was up to Dickens to adapt. Your choices are somewhat limited when you only weigh 10 pounds.

Keep in mind that besides Dickens' little bed, which is right behind my chair (and currently holding its intended occupant) there are two extra large padded beds on either side of my chair that can easily accommodate a fully stretched out pit bull of, say, 65 pounds.

And one last note: My house is drafty, for sure, but it is not cold. The desert blood I acquired over the last 15 years keeps me from living in frosty conditions when indoors. (With the notable exception of the iced over windows, of course.)
Best choice, of course, is finding sun. And a headrest. Ginger did have her back feet on Dickens also, but Dickens moved when I turned on the camera, as usual.


Or, find yourself a cozy bed. Cozy, in this case, with the real estate meaning of "tiny."



I have no idea what possessed Ginger to do this. She has never attempted to hijack Dickens' bed before.

The next day, she did it WHILE Dickens was in it. Dickens showed no uncertain affront.



Eventually, however, he was forced to adapt. I guess he figured at least it was warm. I removed the water bowl next to him lest Ginger kick him into it, since he was not wearing a life vest.



One more picture after the jump, with Dickens making the most of his humans for warmth.
(I did eventually convince Ginger to move to one of her own beds. Dickens joined her shortly, curling up behind her with his little head propped on Ginger's whale of a back. No picture: Dickens moved. He can hear my camera from a mile away.)


Ideally, for maximum warmth, sandwich yourself between a big human and a small human, under a very soft blanket. No pit bulls allowed--this time.

Niece Jordan, Dickens and I on Thanksgiving

No comments: