Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Riots in Cairo (and Alexandria) as Protests Reign


Riot police still in their trucks. Not for long. (Photos by Emad Abdel Rahman Taryal)

Egyptians denounce Mubarak, clash with riot police (Associated Press)

This is the only article (above) I have found so far and is well worth reading.

This is a HUGE development in Egypt. Mubarak has governed--and suppressed--Egypt since Sadat's assassination in 1980. I saw demonstrations for various reasons during my year there, but they were VERY quickly suppressed and dispersed. Anyone caught was arrested and typically beaten. The fact that these Egyptians filled Midan at-Tahrir, Cairo's central hub, which is huge and normally filled with cars, is astounding. Even more unbelievable are the pictures of hundreds or thousands of protestors being kept by riot police from crossing the main bridges into central Cairo.

Blocking access to central Cairo, heart of the protests

I would not have noticed this if I hadn't seen posts on Facebook from my primary Arabic professor at the American University in Cairo back in the 90's, Abbas at-Tonsi. I can barely read his Arabic comments anymore, but I read enough to go looking for news. And I found it.

I am not going to be so patronizing as to say I am proud of Egypt today, but I will say my heart is with them 100%. There has been violence, and there is likely to be more. Mubarak has had 30 years to fortify his position. But never has there been such a movement against him like this. I wish them all courage and safety.
Batons out


1 comment:

Emad Taryal said...

Thanks for using my photos :)