Friday, October 9, 2009

Nobel Peace Prize to be renamed Nobel Potential Prize



Granted, I am not fully awake yet, but what the fuck are they drinking over there in Oslo--and where can I get some? This is the news I awoke to this morning:

President Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize, Yahoo's lead story.

This is not a popularity award (well, maybe it is) but rather one that should be awarded to, and I quote here Alfred Nobel from his 1985 will, "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."

Well, he has had some success with "peace congresses" as Andy Borowitz points out in his reaction to the news this morning:

Nobel Insiders: Beer Summit Sealed it for Obama

Another article makes a number of good points about the news, most notably that "Bill Clinton will be pissed." This from Matthew Cooper at The Atlantic:

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize. What Now?

It also hits upon my first reaction, which was: When does he get his Oscar?

Another article takes a different slant on the award:

"Obama awarded Nobel Peace Price for not being Bush" There are SO MANY blogs erupting this morning I have already lost the source for this one. As soon as I find it, I will post the link. I saw it somewhere on the Huffington Post.

So what now? I am not the only one whose first reaction (okay, second after WTF?) was that he should politely decline it. I can list at least ten articles so far that follow this line, and you can find them easily enough. Apparently, it is not that easy to accomplish this, and I, for one, don't see him doing it. Any politician--and I mean anyone, not just Obama--who has the ego to make it to the highest office does not still retain the humility necessary to make such a bold move. That is my opinion.

After all, has anyone ever turned down an Oscar?

Actually, they have...


Both Marlon Brando and George C. Scott have turned down an Oscar. George did it twice.


No comments: