Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Good, Good Pig


Christopher as a baby. Photo by author Sy Montgomery.

Like most of the world, I have been running on fumes for weeks, now, and I am grateful for anything that reminds me that there are still things in life worth enjoying. (Do I even need to bother mentioning it is 3 degrees F right now? The 3-4 feet of snow we have will never melt. Why does Australia and the Arctic Circle get all the global warming?)
As I was saying...

Sy Montgomery with her dear friend, Christopher. Photo by Ian Redmond.

Last night I read a great tale about a great (big) pig, Christopher Hogwood. He was named after the famous conductor and musicologist, Christopher Hogwood, who even took part in his nation-wide eulogy. Originally brought home as a runt with no chances of surviving, he beat all odds to become a bacon beacon of joy not only for his family, but for his town of Hancock, NH, and far beyond. He brought people together for 14 years.

And he made me smile and cry and remember the good things in the world for at least a few hours last night. That makes this one priceless pig.

"What is beer but liquid grain? Christopher enjoys a Schlitz." Caption and photo by Sy Montgomery.

Ned Rodat enjoying his friend's company. Photo by Mollie Miller.

No comments: